Bring your four-legged canine friends to enjoy the pools
SPEARFISH, SD – Well-behaved dogs of all shapes and sizes, accompanied by their owners, are welcome to Dog Days in the Pool from 5-7 p.m. Tuesday, Sept. 5, at the Spearfish Recreation and Aquatics Center.
The pools are open for the pooches to swim, chase tennis balls, and enjoy some time in the water before the pools are drained for the season. Owners are asked to bring leashes, tennis balls, bags to clean up after their dogs, and a donation to benefit the Western Hills Humane Society.
Western Hills Humane Society will also be looking for the next "poster dog", be sure to post your photos on the Western Hills Humane Society Facebook page!!!
Pet owners are responsible for their dogs and their behavior during the event; the safety of all attendees (human and canine!) is paramount, so owners should consider whether their dog is comfortable around other animals/people, new locations, new situations, etc., before deciding whether to attend.
For more information, call the rec center at 605-722-1430.
Owners and handlers are reminded that the relevant rules of the off-leash dog park apply to Dog Days in the Pool. These rules include:
- Assume full legal responsibility for their dogs and any personal injury caused by them
- Be 18 years or older
- Bring no more than two dogs
- Carry a leash for each dog in your care
- Remain inside the fenced area within full view, able to use voice control, and maintain total supervision of your dog(s) at all times
- Pick up and dispose of your dog’s waste in the provided receptacles
- Children 12-17 years old must be accompanied by an adult, and children younger than 12 must have direct supervision
- Be at least 6 months old
- Be leashed when entering and leaving the water park
- Be healthy and have current rabies tag and dog license fastened to collar
- Dogs in heat are not allowed at the event
- Not bark on a continuous or frequent basis
- Be removed at the first sign of aggression against other dogs or people